The Oxford Ophthalmological Congress (OOC) is an historic meeting founded in 1909 and is the second largest ophthalmological meeting held in the United Kingdom. It is held annually in Oxford, usually taking place from the first Monday to Wednesday in July. The Congress is a multivenue user: The Scientific content is held at the New Theatre, with accommodation and social events in the famous Worcester College. The Industry Exhibition is currently held at the Randolph Hotel. These venues could change when more suitable sites become available.
After successfully attaining CIO status in 2019 the Council of the OOC is reviewing contracts with all service providers. This tender relates to the provision of:
- The Secretariat Role: Management of all council meetings & matters.
- The Scientific Congress (all event management) to include venue & supplier liaison, speaker liaison, social programme planning (dinners/entertainment/external catering etc.), event advertisement, delegate registration and communication.
- Industry Exhibition Conference Organisation (marketing and selling the exhibition to the industry, floor planning, venue liaison, H&S, ABPI compliance etc.).
The applicant may bid to run the OOC as follows:
• Option A: The applicant bids to operate ONLY the Congress. OR
• Option B: The applicant bids to operate ONLY the Industry Exhibition.
Option A + B:
The applicant bids to operate the Congress in its entirety to include all scientific programme, event management, secretariat, and industry exhibition provision. Applicants are required to provide a fully costed submission to the Council.
The Council of the OOC is seeking applicants with experience and evidence of successful conference delivery on a large national/international scale, delivering a complex scientific programme whilst incorporating social events, and a proven track record of income generation. Previous experience within the Ophthalmic clinical or Industry sector would be desirable. Following the tender process, the OOC may award a new contract(s), from 01/08/2023 for these services and the provision of the Congress in 2024.The initial contract will be for three years renewable after the first year at the discretion of the OOC. Thereafter the contract will be extendable after the third year.
Congress Event Aims
- To facilitate the delivery of an engaging programme with the aim of attracting 400+ delegates.
- Maintain the Congress’ position at the forefront of ophthalmologic conferences nationally and internationally (positive marketing and advertising).
- Achieve an annual surplus for the meeting via delegate registrations, Industry fees, advertising and ensuring service providers are offering competitive rates commensurate with being a CIO. (A desirable sum of not less than £30k).
- Maintain the professional and positive relationships in place within the congress.
More information, including timetables and a detailed breakdown of service delivery, can be found here: https://www.ooc.uk.com/Final-Oxford-Ophthalmological-Congress-Tender-Document.pdf